Start Your Day With A Bowl Of Porridge
Today’s post is all about my love for porridge and the different toppings I continue to experiment with. I think the real reason why I eat porridge is because of the delicious toppings. Your porridge can be customised to your favourite flavours.
“Think Happy Thoughts.”
I use the Quaker Oats – Oats So Simple Original Sachets. I use this brand because the oats are already in portion sizes so this is the perfect way to create a quick breakfast. This brand provides various different flavours too! The porridge is so convenient and is made in less than 2 minutes. 100% whole grain oats full of delicious fibre.
For me, I like to use a combination of water and milk in my porridge just because I like the consistency to be a lot thinner than usual, milk adds a creamier taste. I also make my porridge using the microwave so I can prep the toppings. I put my milk, water and oats into one bowl and microwave for 30 seconds at a time (stirring as I go) and then I add all the toppings.
My favourite toppings include –
- Homemade granola (a new recipe coming up soon!)
- Seeds (sunflower, poppy, sesame, chia)
- Dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, apricots)
- Frozen fruit, in particular, raspberries – these melt and infuse the porridge with sweet flavours
- Peanut butter or a variety of nut butters, this melts and tastes amazing!
- Dark 85% chocolate, I break this up on top of the porridge and this also melts into the porridge creating a delicious taste
- Nuts! A great source of protein and taste lovely
- Cacao powder, I mix this in with my porridge once cooked, a great way of incorporating antioxidants into your breakfast with the added taste of chocolate
- Breakfast seed topping, this is a combination of seeds crushed together into a fine dust – a source of protein, high in Omega 3 and high in fibre
- Chocolate covered dried fruit
Here are a few images of my favourite toppings and if you do have any other suggestions please let me know by commenting below!
Breakfast Seed Topping! – Local supermarket find.
Experiment with your porridge and create a masterpiece out of what you eat! Enjoy the process and most importantly enjoy your food. Making the toppings look visually appealing makes me enjoy the food a lot more.
Over Christmas, I used a variety of toppings on my porridge including various different chocolates, mince pie mince meat and candy sprinkles. It is so good to be able to treat yourself and be guilt free. Remember to have balance in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle. We are all human and love to indulge, so do it! It is extremely healthy for our mind set which allows us to be healthy inside and out.
Why make your breakfast boring, it starts the day? Set yourself up for the day with a colourful bowl of delicious goodness. I have also recently posted a recipe for my smoothie bowl linked here. This is also a great alternative. Refreshing, fruity and filling.
I am always keen to see what you eat too! Follow me on social media to see more of the food I eat and make.
Hope you all have a lovely, positive week. Let’s do this!