Start Your Day With – A Smoothie Bowl
“You have always been beautiful. Now you’re just deciding to be healthier, fitter, faster & stronger. Remember that.”
I love starting the day with a wholesome, healthy breakfast. For me, this is a great way of kick starting the day and ensuring I have enough energy to see me through a workout or perhaps until lunchtime. Breakfast is also my favourite meal of the day. Kick starting your metabolism is a great way in aiding weight loss too, and of course, there is no better way than indulging in a delicious healthy breakfast!
A smoothie bowl is something I have recently experimented with since purchasing a Nutribullet. I have always seen beautiful images on Instagram of these exotic bowls covered in seeds, nuts and an array of brightly coloured fruits. So here is my version for you.
The smoothie bowl can be customised depending on your favourite fruits! This recipe could be altered and nut butter could be added for more protein benefits and for additional taste either as a topping or within the blender mixture.
I use chia seeds as a topping for my smoothie bowl because:
“Chia is the highest combined plant-based source of omega-3, fiber and protein.
One tablespoon of chia will provide you with 3g of omega-3 ALA and 6g of dietary fiber, along with a range of other important vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Chia is gluten free, promotes heart health, supports joint function and mobility, and aids a healthy digestive system.
These single serve shots chia seed are a convenient way for people on the go to include chia in their day-to-day lives. Each shot provides 8g of chia, which delivers 1.6g of plant-based omega-3, 3g of dietary fiber and 1.6g complete protein.” The Chia Co.
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 to 2 handfuls of frozen berries
- 2 teaspoons of cacao powder, or more depending on how much you like chocolate!
- A little bit of skimmed milk. However, I add milk throughout the blending process to ensure it has a nice consistency.
- 1 Chia shot
- Firstly, I pour a chia shot into a small bowl and cover with water. This then sits in the fridge while I prepare the rest of the smoothie bowl. However, if you are extremely organised you could prepare the chia seeds the night before. The chia shots I use are from Tesco and cost around 60p each.
- I then add all the ingredients to the blender and blend until the consistency is perfect, the way I like it, without bits.
- Lastly, pour into a bowl and add all the delicious toppings. The toppings can be changed to things you love too, for example, other toppings could include: nuts, nut butter, dark chocolate chunks or, even more, fruit.
- This recipe takes less than 5 minutes to make and is super delicious and healthy!
“A healthy outside starts from the inside.”
I am going to continue to experiment with smoothie bowls and experiment with flavours. The magic of this smoothie bowl is that you could have it for breakfast, a snack or even dessert in the evening. Try different flavours, have fun with it and please share your pictures with me… I hope you enjoy your smoothie bowl as much as I did.
Keep in touch with me via social media! Links listed below and in the side bar.